Thursday

Boredom

My neighbor across the hall offered a helping hand carrying my belongings into the elevator a couple of weeks ago. An act of kindness I normally would decline, but she insisted and I was too tired to argue over the nature of altruism and its contradictory values of entitlement in society as a whole.

Thirsty from moving the boxes from my room, we walked into her apartment where her three-year old (Four? I can't tell) daughter sat on the couch watching television. We awkwardly exchanged smiles and I took a seat next to her while wondering what to say to an icky toddler.

But then, "that's a cute puppy," I said, while pointing at the bunny eating vegetables on the stone top table. "He's a bunny," she said. "A bunny? Looks like a puppy to me," I replied smilingly. She looked kind of bewildered.

At this point I experienced some sort of scruple rarely felt before; it was obvious I struck a nerve with my questioning and for a brief moment I felt like acknowledging the correct species of the pet, but decided to continue our discussion nevertheless.

"I'm pretty sure it's a puppy," I said. "A bunny," she replied. "A puppy," me. "A bunny," she.

"You're mean," she finally stated.

"Yeah, probably," I agreed.

"And you know what you are?" I asked, still smiling. "You are a princess!"

"You're not mean!" she sparkled.

So, now you know.


Heh. Stupid kid. Anyway, I don't like children. The elderly. Anyone who is not between the ages of 18 and 22 basically. Any questions?